Bill Nicol and Richard Weldon Haley Bursaries
PMES Volunteers for 2016 / 2017 – we are now open for Bursary applications for 2017!
Until a few years ago, PMES offered the ‘Bill Nicol’ Bursary in the amount of $1500 for an active Port Moody Ecological Society volunteer. For many years, Bill Nicol had been collecting bottles and generously donating the deposit funds into a scholarship fund for our volunteers. Sadly, Bill’s health has declined to an extent that he personally is not able to collect bottles and cans anymore – however, he has had such a positive impact on the local community that the Society continues to be inundated with these recyclable items for our bursary fundraising. THANK YOU ALL!
More recently, the Port Moody Ecological Society received a generous endowment from the estate of Richard Weldon Haley with the instruction to use these funds to establish another bursary. The funds were invested and the annual interest is included in the Society’s bursary fundraising.
These two bursary funding sources are now combined and we are able to increase, depending upon applicant criteria, both the number of awards each year and the amounts awarded. We have awarded bursaries of over $5,000 for eligible applicants.
The criteria for bursary applications is detailed below. The deadline for applications is June 1st each year. We encourage students who volunteer with us and are currently enrolled in or entering post secondary education programs in fish/wildlife/environmental or related areas to apply.
1. Strong ongoing volunteer record with environmental service groups
2. Good academic record
3. Career goals which reflect a commitment to the environment
4. Financial need
5. Minimum 100 recorded volunteer hours with the Port Moody Ecological Society since start date
Submit a 1-2 page statement to our Scholarship Committee which includes the following:
1. Name, contact information and the education program where you will be enrolled this fall.
2. A summary of your volunteer work at this hatchery and elsewhere including the number of recorded volunteer hours you have done since starting as a volunteer at the Noons Creek Hatchery. These hours can include events that you have attended with us.
3. Any awards or recognition received.
4. A statement describing what educational program you are presently enrolled in (or will be enrolled in this fall) and why you feel you should receive this bursary.
5. Please enclose a copy of the most recent transcript of your marks (an official transcript is not required)
6. Provide a brief overview of your career plans.
Deadline to receive applications: June 1, 2017.
The announcement will be made on or before June 30, 2017. Leave your application at the hatchery (addressed to Bursary Committee in Elaine Golds’ slot on the mail tray) or submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The successful applicants agree to have their name and photograph used for publicity such as local media, website, and newsletters.
Port Moody Ecological Society – Celebrating over 25 years of environmental awareness and stewardship
300 Ioco Road, Port Moody, BC V3H 2V7 Tel: (604) 469-9106 Located to the right of the Port Moody Recreation Centre and Ice Hockey Rink